Monday, March 20, 2017

Planting Seeds, Working Hard

Aloha fam,

Well I've got a lot to say and no time to say it. Here it goes.

So this was a crazy week from start to finish. First off we had interviews with President Bekker, he just really lifts me up every time I talk to him and every time it just inspires me to be better. Anyway after that we had a zone conference with the missionaries from the Honolulu, Waipahu, and Makakilo zones. I got to see a lot of the missionaries from the old Kaneohe days that are serving there now so that was awesome to be able to catch up with them. The topic of the Conference was self conversion which is something I have been trying to focus on this transfer, I can't be so focused on these people that I forget to take care of myself. I feel like I have learned so much in the last seven months, if nothing else at least I know that this mission is changing me.

On Sunday we met with Sister Alcon who is a member that recently returned to activity, she has an 11 year old son who lives on Molokai but comes to vist every once in awhile and will be moving here in the summer. He has not been baptized so she asked us to talk to him about it and prep him. Luckily I've taught a whole bunch of children on my mission (more than adults sadly haha) so it was pretty easy to get him comfortable around us. I think he's going to be just fine and I always enjoy teaching his age group so this will be a fun series of lessons.

I was talking to Elder Boyd to see how my old area is doing and he told me that one of the part member families is getting baptized in a couple weeks and I was so happy to hear that. I loved the guy so much and he quit drinking while I was there so I knew this was only a matter of time. People in the mission don't know what seeds they're planting so it's hard to see the value of the work some days, I just have to remember that stuff like this doesn't happen because of one missionary alone. I can't do it by myself. We are all in it together and we all have the same goal.

We got in contact with this awesome Korean member this week named brother Skyson who is friends with one of the University of Hawaii radio DJs. The DJ isn't a member but he has member family and he loves missionaries so he lets us take an hour of his show every month to talk about our church and share a bit about ourselves. Brother Skyson asked if we wanted to do this and we agreed. Beforehand I was crazy nervous but in the end I said a prayer and figured that I do this all the time, this was no different. So yeah we just did that this morning and I think it went well. If nothing else I think that the DJ himself is much more open to learning more. Odds are that won't happen to me again but they will be doing that with other missionaries every month.

So I really gotta sign off because of limited time but I love you guys and I love hearing from you guys. I know I don't address it often but thanks for keeping me updated on whats happening back home.

Love you!
Elder Smith

Pic from Zone Conference  - Honolulu West Zone




No comments:

Post a Comment