Monday, July 16, 2018

The Neat Life of Zack and Cody

So because we never call each other by our first names Elder Cowden and I just realized yesterday that we are Zack and Cody. Throwback to the Dsiney Channel days. Anyway this week was a bit of a long one, definitely had it's ups and downs but there lessons to be learned in all of it.

We did service on the USS Missouri once again which I have not been able to do in quite a while. This was my 10th time going on the ship so I was given one of the "USS Missouri Volunteer" shirts. It's been a long time coming, crazy to think that will be my last time on the ship.

We had some pretty cool moments early and late in the week. We had a meeting with Darren and Sandy (The Pohnepeian couple) and Sandy told us she wants to get baptized she just knows she has to get married first. So we are currently working out the details on that.

Saturday was quite the day, we decided to dedicate the whole day to finding new investigators and we felt pretty good about it. Problem is as the day went on it was just one rejection after another. People weren't home, people shot us down, we got dropped by a few investigators, it just wasn't a pretty sight. We started to get a little down but we kept trucking regardless. At the end of the day though as we were heading back to our car a Samoan man named Otto struck up a conversation with us, as we talked we found out he was a less active member who hadn't attended church in 10 years. He told us to come back this week to share a message with him and his family (all not members). After that me and Elder Cowden both felt a confirmation that the work we had put in was worth it. I've preached this before but I'll say it again, when you do God's work miracles happen daily, just rarely the ones you are expecting.

Sunday was a good day as well, my aunt and uncle and cousins from back in California were vacationing in Hawai'i and came to the Palehua ward to say hi to me after sacrament meeting! During the meeting though Elder Cowden and I noticed a man sitting by himself that neither of us knew. When the meeting ended I slipped right past my family and talked to him, turns out his name was Adam and when we asked him what brought him there he just said he saw a church and decided to check it out. We asked if he was down to learn more and he said he wouldn't mind it so we grabbed his info and are meeting with him this coming week. Kinda felt bad just brushing my family aside but duty calls. I talked to my family after of course, seeing how big my cousins are now made me realize just how long I've been away.

That night though we went to a stake activity at the chapel in Waianae where we conducted a chapel tour but decorated different rooms to look like different parts of the Plan of Salvation. Elder Cowden and I were able to teach the tour groups about the pre-mortal life and aside from a couple Seventh Day Adventists walking out because of what we said it went pretty well. Lots of people learned a lot and lots of investigators from the Waianae and Nanakuli areas came. All in all good times.

That's all to report from this week, all I can say is I'm glad the Lord still has lessons for me to learn in my last month out here. I can't wait to see what these next 4 weeks hold. Love you all. Aloha!

Elder Smith
Hawai'i Honolulu Mission

1. I was inducted into the Pierce's wall of fame for eating a habanero
2. The mighty mo
3. Reppin' the home state





No comments:

Post a Comment