Monday, March 5, 2018

Lift Where You Stand

Aloha from Ka'u!

We had a pretty great start to my second transfer in this corner of the Big Island. My new comp Elder Ferrin is awesome and we are figuring out ways to push the work here. Elder Ferrin is from Springville, Utah and has been on his mission for 17 months. So far he has only been on O'ahu so he was pretty pumped to finally hit one of the outer islands. He has a lot of fire in him and is excited to get to work here which makes my job a whole lot easier.

This week we primarily focused on getting to know the members, focusing on the less actives and part member families. I basically haven't met any of them before this so it was nice to start figuring out who was who. We met a handful of lass actives who want us to keep coming by so hopefully that will bring us some investigators in the long run.

One funny (in hindsight) thing that happened this week was that as Elder Moody and I were leaving the pad to take him to the airport he put his shoes on without checking them first (something you should always do here) and he got bit on the toe by a centipede. After 6 months in Ka'u with no incidents he gets bit in the last possible moment. I hazed him about it for awhile but karma will be what karma is and a couple days later I woke up around 2:30 in the morning to a centipede biting my hand. Thankful I shook it off quick and it was a big one (they are actually more dangerous when they are small) so I wasn't in any danger but it still hurt like a bee sting on crack. Needless to say we hunted down the culprit with the butcher knife and he isn't a problem anymore.

This area is definitely a unique one, I see that more now since I am the one running the area. Sometimes I get a little discouraged because its really hard to find people, or because we have so few members to work with (about 40 active) but I know that this is all God's work. I remembered that Elder Utchdorf told us all that we need to "Lift where we stand" or in other words we need to build up the church wherever we are. I may not have a lot to work with here, but it's more than some people have. God doesn't expect me to do any more than I can in Ka'u, but he does expect me to do ALL that I can, and that's what I'll do.

Thats all for this week, I'm excited to see where this transfer takes me. Love you all!

Elder Smith
Hawai'i Honolulu Mission

Pics:
Elder Ferrin
Kawa Beach (Rock/Black Sand Beach)
Inside the Kaumana Caves (Lava Tubes)
The Centipede that got me









No comments:

Post a Comment