Monday, January 15, 2018

Nuketown

Aloha from Kona!

Well we had a bit of an exciting week. As I'm sure most of you heard on the news there was a false ballistic missile threat that went out to all the Hawaiian islands this past week. The message was sent out through phones, tv's, and all sorts of public displays so there was a bit of a panic going on. Things weren't too bad here on this island but I hear that things were crazy on O'ahu. Elder Lee and I were cleaning the chapel when we got word, we didn't really know what to do so we just kept cleaning the chapel. No better place to be right? But everything is all good now and if nothing else I think this was a wake-up call to all who weren't prepared for these kinds of emergencies. Just remember there is a reason we have been told by a prophet of God to have these kind of things in place.

In missionary work news we had a pretty awesome week. I went on exchanges with the ZLs and took over this area for the first time. Even though I had no clue what I was doing we had a super productive and super fun day that included 1. Watching Pres Monson's funeral 2. Checking out the ghettos of my area that I hadn't been to before. 3. Getting schooled in basketball by some Marshallese kids (and getting a new investigator out of it). and 4. Accidentally setting off the security alarm at an old folks home. Seniors on the loose.

So basically it was a dope day and we were able to keep that momentum going throughout the week. I was actually getting really excited for transfers because I was pumped to take over the area, which is what added to the bombshell that we got when Elder Lee and I found out we were both leaving. Honestly I'm pretty upset that I am leaving this place after only 6 weeks because I have really come to love this ward. I'll be staying on the big island but moving to the Ka'u ward in the Hilo Zone to be with Elder Moody. I have learned a lot in my brief time here and hope that I have been able to give to back to them as well. Since it was fast Sunday me and Lee bore our testimonies and thanked the ward for being awesome. A bunch of the youth got all sad because we were pretty tight with the YM and YW. Best part was though the ward didn't have us go up for Aloha 'Oe and they just ended the meeting but then as everyone was leaving Brother Lui (hardcore Hawaiian guy) started singing and those still in the room joined in. It was a lot more personal and both of us got a little misty eyed.

So with that said I am super sad to be leaving Kona but excited for the adventures awaiting me in Hilo. Let the good times roll.

Love you all!

Elder Smith
Hawai'i Honolulu Mission

1500 S. Beretania St. ste 416
Honolulu, HI 96826







No comments:

Post a Comment