Monday, December 11, 2017

Kona is Weird

Aloha from the Big Island.

So this has been a long week. Like a really really long week. I feel like I have been here forever and it hasn't even been a week yet.

Here is basic rundown of the week. On Tuesday my flight to Kona wasn't until 2 in the afternoon so I spent the front half of the day just chilling at Honolulu, once I got to the airport I realized I had no clue what on earth I was doing so I found another missionary that was transferring islands (Elder Wills) and he showed me the ropes. Anyway on the plane ride over I talked with some hardcore hippies and gave them some light the world cards which they liked. After that I met my new comp Elder Lee (he is legit and from North Ogden, Utah) and him and the Ke'ei elders tried to make me think that they were super apostate and that we were meeting with some girls on the beach buuut of course it turned out to be a prank. Anywho after exploring the Big Island I can tell you all that the rumors are true:it's big. My area here is like the size of a zone on O'ahu. Day 2 on the island we were called to give a blessing but we got third hand info so we thought we were blessing an old auntie, turns out the message was misconstrued and we were actually blessing a house that had some "unwanted visitors" in it. A little different than we thought but it all went well. Day 3 the Ke'ei Elders tricked Elder Lee into eating a habenero pepper in one bite so needless to say he was down for the better part of the day. Day 4 we realized that we don't have a key to our PO box and its probably filling up with mail right now. We are working on getting the new key but the only one that can order one is who ever ordered the PO box in the first place which is a missionary who has already gone home. Joy. So sorry but I won't be getting anyone's mail for the next little bit.

The rest of the week has been pretty normal but all in all this has been the weirdest first week in an area so far. The members seem pretty cool but its going to be hard to beat the Waipiolani members. Also there are a lot more haoles here than I was expecting, first time on my mission that I've had a white bishop so we'll see if I get along with him (lol). But yeah that was my week, oh duh almost forgot we taught a super awesome lesson to our investigator Koen on the Plan of Salvation. He absolutely loved it and said that it was like he was remembering something that he forgot. Amazing how the lord works. But I love you all and hope that you find a way to lighten someone's life today.

-Elder Smith

(camera is still broken so no Kona pics yet, but here are some from before I left Mililani)







No comments:

Post a Comment