Monday, May 14, 2018

Hold Your Breath

Aloha friends and family.

This is probably going to be a shorter email since there isn't a whole lot to report on aside from the weather. So last week I made the comment that mother nature couldn't stop the work, buuut I did find this week that she can slow it down.

So for those that haven't been following the news this week Kilauea's eruptions near Pahoa are ongoing. We had a couple quiet days but a few more small quakes opened up a couple more lava vents. We are pretty far (about 40 miles) from where the lava is but because of the way the wind is blowing we are getting the vog and ash worse than anyone. Some days are worse than others but it made it really hard for us to find anyone since people just barricaded themselves indoors. Also almost everyone we teach has allergies of some kind so they were all getting sick from the air. President Bekker told us to stay put unless things get worse so all week has been a bit of a waiting game.

The media is saying that if the lava continues to drop in the main vent that it will eventually hit the water table which will cause a decent size eruption. The surrounding area has already been evacuated but IF that happens Ka'u would get hit by a good size ash cloud and we would all need to evacuate. That being said this probably just the media blowing things out of proportion so only time will tell.

Sadly not a lot of missionary work to report on, mostly just checking in with our investigators and making sure they are all good. We did exchange one day this week and I went into the Kea'au ward with Elder Owens. Let me tell you, I don't know if there was something in the water up there but everyone we talked to was in a bad mood. I've met plenty of rude people in the last 21 months but I'd never been given death threats before. I got three that day so look at me go. (One guy told us he was a mercenary named Diablo so we didn't spend a whole lot of time on his property).

Anywho that's all I can really report on this week. Transfer news is rolling in next week and odds are I will be moving to my last area. Hoping that my last week in Ka'u picks up but regardless I am happy with the chance I have had to live the country life for a few months. Love you all and keep the faith 🤙

Elder Smith
Hawai'i Honolulu Mission

1500 S. Beretania St. ste. 416
Honolulu, HI 96826


Only pic I took this week. Sent this in to the mission office with our mileage report. It's a basic summary of what my Big Island experience has been like over the last 6 months

No comments:

Post a Comment