Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Mountain of the Lord

Well. That general conference just happened. At zone conference a week ago President Bekker told all of us that he had on good authority conference would be one to remember. I thought it was just a line but man President Nelson really showed us all that this church is the Church of Jesus Christ, some of the changes seem a little crazy but I know that this is all in the name of bringing people closer to Christ and improving our personal relationship with Him.

We had some pretty solid contacts with our investigators this week and I gained a testimony of the power of testimony (testimonyception). I won't go into the details but something kinda sketchy happened to me and Elder Ferrin early in the week. We're ok and it's all taken care of but the message was clear, something out there really doesn't want us to testify of this church. So naturally we did the smart thing and started doing it more. We had meetings with the Kaawa ohana and Kaleohano ohana (both of which haven't been progressing) and on top of sharing lessons we put a focus on bearing personal witness that we know this is true and that it is our source of happiness. We also took the time to tell them we cared about them and that God sent us to Ka'u for them. That seemed to resonate with them and I think they are going to start heading in the right direction.

We also did service for a woman named Loretta in Ocean View which was pretty chill, we are finishing up tomorrow and hopefully we can also share a lesson with her. We had a ward party/lasagna night and we were able to have a solid get to know you session with our new gator Mandy. I think she has a TON of potential it's just a matter of whether or not we are allowed to teach her. Another cool thing was that we were able to set up an appointment with the Uckers, a newer part member family that we have really come to like. Things are starting to look up despite some of our setbacks. Choosing positivity!

P-day was an exciting adventure, after weeks of failed attempts me, Elder Ferrin, and the Kea'au Elders went to the top of Mauna Kea (largest mountain in Hawai'i) and had a look around. It was really cool to see all the observatories up there but we didn't stay too long because it was flipping cold. I'm not talking fake "I haven't experienced winter in 2 years" cold I'm talking legit cold. It was 32° and snowing with high speed wind blowing right to your bones. Me being the genius I am was just sitting there in my t-shirt and pj pants (warmest things I had). After nearly dying of frostbite we went back down to regular altitudes and recovered. Fun and memorable experience, good ideas as to what Rexburg will feel like in the fall.

But that was my week, transfer news comes this coming week and I'd say it's a pretty split 50/50 as to whether I will stay or go. Either way I'm giving my all this next week, love you guys!

Elder Smith
Hawai'i Honolulu Mission

1500 S Beretania St. ste 416
Honolulu Hawai'i 96826

1. Observatory on Mauna Kea
2. Me trying to look like I'm not dying in the cold
3. Elder Ferrin during service 🇺🇸
4. Me showing Elder Dorrough the Punalu'u black sand beach on exchanges
5. A lizard. Because why not
6. Our tags in the snow
(We took some better pics at Mauna Kea I just don't have them yet)

















More pics and a video received by his mom:








No comments:

Post a Comment